Business in today’s world is intense, fierce, and throbbing with endless possibilities.
In this world, speed of execution and the ability to sell will be critical skills of success. Some people have amazing products, services and ideas yet their bank accounts are not dancing to the sound of credit alerts.
In my capacity as Nigeria’s #1 Sales Coach to some of the biggest companies in Nigeria and as a business man with multiple businesses, I present some of reasons people are not selling.
1. THEY’RE NOT CLEAR ABOUT THE SOLUTION THEIR PRODUCT OR SERVICE OFFERS: You must realize that sales is about convincing or persuading a person to believe that what you have to offer is of more VALUE to them than the money in their pockets or purses at the time. So ask your customers questions so you can uncover their problems then use your product as a solution to their problems.
2. THEY HAVE VERY FEW PROSPECTS IN THEIR SALES FUNNEL: Sales is a game of numbers. The more prospective customers you’re talking to about buying from you the higher the possibility or probability of a few of them converting into paying customers. So, the solution is fill your pipeline with loads of prospects.
3. THEY DON’T FOLLOW UP REGULARLY: Do you know that 80% of sales are lost due to a lack of follow up? I am currently doing sales training for a company and i followed up on them for two years. The solution is never give up, systematically follow up on the clients that have promised you business.
4. THEY DON’T READ AND STUDY HUMAN BEHAVIOR: Sales is 80% psychology and 20% mechanics. To some extent you can predict the behavior of people. Read up about rapport building, read up about the laws of influence. Build your skill base. Instead of watching TV read. Out-read your competitors.
5. THEY DON’T HAVE A STRONG REASON TO SUCCEED: ”It is only when we are stirred by a great demand, an insistent necessity that we accomplish the sort of things that make us proud of our humanity” – Bruce Barton
The reason why you’re not selling is perhaps because you’re selfish!
For if your success in business is tied to your children doing well or your success is tied to the hospital bill of a person dear to you, then your drive will be on steroid. Have a compelling reason for success and trust me you will find a way to sell.
6. YOU’RE NOT ASKING FOR REFERRALS: Most of your money is in the hands of your current customers and the people they know. When was the last time you asked your current customers to refer you to people in their circle of influence? ASK! and you will receive people are willing to help you succeed.
7. YOU DON’T HAVE CLEAR SALES GOALS: Set clear sales goals. ”I want to make a lot of money” Is not a clear goal. ”I want to make N5,000,000 by September 30, 2017” Is a clear goal. The clearer you goal the more momentum you will generate to achieve it.